Total Pageviews

Monday, May 2, 2011

Philadelphia Freedom!

My alarm clock is set to go off every weekday morning at 5:45.  Instead of an annoying buzzer, I wake up to WTOP radio, which is Washington DC's 24-hour news station.  Since sports are always done at 15 and 45 past each hour, I always wake up to the latest sports scores.  However, this morning it was not sportscaster Dave Johnson telling me that the Washington Capitals had lost their NHL playoff game last night; it was some strange man talking about terrorism.  That made me perk up, because I figured something big had happened somewhere in the world overnight.  Sure enough, US Navy SEALs had killed AlQaeda leader Osama binLaden.  I said "Cool!", while my Navy-veteran husband said "About time the Navy did something!"  Despite the initial excitement, I still wanted to know who won last night's game between the Mets and Phillies.  I know; it's not very patriotic of me, but when I went to bed, it was going into extra innings, and since the Nationals, Braves, and Marlins had all won their games yesterday, I was curious to know how the other two NL East teams had done.  Why did I go to bed before the game was over?  Because I can't STAND extra-inning games!  One thing I like about baseball is knowing that the game is going to end after 9 innings; when that certainty goes away, I lose interest.  How do I know how much longer the game will go on?  Will it be 10 innings, or will it be 15?  Since there's no way of knowing, I just choose to not watch.  In this case, I wish I had, because after the Mets finally won the game 2-1 in the fourteenth inning, fans had already been notified of the breaking news from the White House and there was all kinds of excitement at the ballpark.  Sorry I missed it!

What else happened in baseball yesterday?  Well, Andre Ethier of the Dodgers continues his consecutive-game hit streak, which now stands at 27 games.  Ethier is no Joe DiMaggio, but streaks like that are always exciting to follow.  Let's see...what else... Oh, the Indians won their 13th-straight home game, beating the struggling Tigers 5-4.  The Yankees beat the Blue Jays 5-2, giving Mariano Rivera his 10th save of the year.  And how did the Nationals win over the Giants?  With the help of Iván Rodriguez, who drove in 2 runs in their 5-2 victory (he also used his "missile arm" to catch a runner trying to steal second base).  And one statistic from last night's game that I thought was interesting:  Ryan Howard of the Phillies finished April with 27 RBIs.  That's just insane!

I will finish today's post with a quote from Mets' third-baseman David Wright that I stole from mlb.com:  ""As proud and as great a moment as it was for me being on a baseball field, you multiply that by a million. That's probably what they're feeling at the fire houses, at the police stations, at the places like Walter Reed."  Have a good week, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment