Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Jackie Would Have Loved Watching This Robinson!

Last night was the 2011 All-Star Home Run Derby, and to make things interesting this year, organizers decided to name two captains - David Ortiz from the American League and Prince Fielder from the National League - each one responsible for picking three other players from their league to represent their team.  The American League was full of Hispanic players - Adrián Gonzalez, Robinson Canó, José Bautista, and Ortiz.  The National League was represented by Matt Holliday, Rickie Weeks, Matt Kemp, and Fielder.  I wanted to root for the NL (since I'm not an AL fan), and more specifically for Rickie Weeks, but I couldn't let my fellow Hispanics down (especially Robinson Canó), so I decided to root for the AL (don't get used to it people; I will be cheering for the NL in tonight's game!). 

The Derby started with Cal Ripken throwing out the ceremonial first pitch, which was very fitting since Cal had won two previous Derbies in the past.  But then it got down to business.  I won't go into the details of who hit how many home runs in what round - you should have watched it last night to get all that information! - but I will tell you that the two best parts of the night were watching José Canó pitching to his son, and the 472-feet home run that Robinson hit during the first round.  If that airplane-hangar-of-a-park had been an outdoor one, that ball would have ended up in Mexico (of course, I don't know the directional orientation in which that park is facing, so that may not be geographically accurate on my part).  It ultimately came down to a Yankees vs. Red Sox rivalry with Canó and Gonzalez in the finals, and Canó edged Gonzalez 12 home runs to 11 to take the Home Run Derby crown.  I hope Canó is really as nice a guy as he seems to be; maybe Yankee fans can focus less on Jeter and A-Rod and pay attention to their second baseman (I wonder if now that A-Rod is out due to knee surgery, Joe Girardi will move Canó from second in the lineup to fourth.  Oh wait - it's the American League; they do things differently over there!).

So tonight is the All-Star Game, with Roy Halliday starting for the National League and Jered Weaver pitching for the AL.  I know Roy is used to pitching nine full innings, but he'll have to give way to others like Lincecum, Clippard and Wilson.  I will once again hope that the National League wins (the winner gets home-field advantage in the World Series), and maybe, just maybe, this year I won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment