Total Pageviews

Monday, October 17, 2011

I'm Baaack!

Hola, everyone!  I know it’s been quite a while since I’ve blogged here – life got busy with the kids going back to school and with me writing my Washington Nationals blog (www.prosportsblogging.com).  But now that the World Series is about to begin (and my obligations with PSB are less since my team was not in the playoffs), I figured I would come back to my humble little blog and share my thoughts on the upcoming baseball championship.

First of all, I have to admit that I was wrong in my prediction of which two teams would go to the World Series.  I wasn’t totally blatantly wrong (I didn’t predict it would be the Tampa Bay Rays against the Arizona Diamondbacks), but I was pretty certain that the Detroit Tigers and Milwaukee Brewers would be the final two teams left after all the playoffs were over.  Well, it ISN’T the Tigers (they lost to the Texas Rangers) and it ISN’T the Brewers (they lost to the St. Louis Cardinals), but at least it won’t be a Yankees/Phillies series so I’m OK with that. 

It was very interesting watching the League Championship Series games this past week.  In the National League series I realized that even I could probably hit a home run in the Brewer’s ballpark; I’m glad the Nationals got rid of Jerry Hairston; and Yadier Molina looks like a gang member with those stupid tattoos on his neck.  I mean, I’m not anti-tattoo or anything, but those neck ones are just trashy.

The ALCS was also fun to watch.  Not only did I enjoy seeing Nelson Cruz hitting home run after home run (7 total in the postseason, which is a record), but he did that while supposedly having an oblique strain.  I’m not fully convinced he had one, but that’s neither here nor there at this point.  It was also interesting to see this season’s probable Cy Young winner, Justin Verlander, throwing over 130 pitches in game 4.  Tigers’ manager, Jim Leyland, said he would leave Verlander in the game until his arm fell off, as opposed to Cardinals’ manager, Tony LaRussa, whose starting pitchers didn’t last more than 5 innings and he relied more heavily on his bullpen.

So now for which team am I going to root?  That’s a hard one – they are so evenly matched that I may just root for both teams!  The Texas Rangers have excellent pitching, decent hitting, and an owner named Nolan Ryan (though I wish he would smile more and not always look so stoic).  The Cardinals have Holliday, Freese, Pujols, and fellow Puerto Rican (and catcher!) Molina.  And me being a fan of the National League (and hater of the Designated Hitter), I don’t think I’ve ever rooted for an American League team in the World Series since the days of Kirby Puckett and the Minnesota Twins.  So I am torn – completely and absolutely torn!  Instead I will root for exciting defensive plays, good calls from umpires (good luck with that one!), and decent renditions of the National Anthem.  And I hope the World Series goes seven games – sweeps are boring and the more games they play, the more fans will watch and will buy tickets and hot dogs and souvenirs.  So go out and buy your tickets, people of St. Louis and Texas – it’s going to be an exciting World Series!

No comments:

Post a Comment