Total Pageviews

Friday, April 20, 2012

You Don't Look a Day Over 99!

Today is a nostalgic and milestone day for baseball fans, as we celebrate the 100th birthday of Boston's Fenway Park.  On April 20, 1912 (just a few days after this one very big ship sank after hitting some sort of large iceberg thing), Fenway Park opened its gates to Boston Red Sox players and fans.  With its manually-operated scoreboard and "Green Monster" wall in left field, Fenway Park has been home to many memorable and historic moments in baseball lore.  Here is my list of the best Fenway moments, in chronological order:
  • On September 28, 1960, Ted Williams hit a home run in his last career at-bat.  I wasn't around then, but it must have been very cool to watch.  Ted Williams was just awesome.
  • On October 22, 1975, Carlton Fisk hit a walk-off home run in the 12th inning of the sixth game of the World Series against the Cincinnati Reds, forcing a game seven (which the Reds won).  If you can't picture this in your head, it's that home run where Fisk is shown moving his arms to the side, like he's saying "Come on ball, get out of the park!  Come on, move, ball!" while shuffling along the first-base line.  You know what I'm talking about - it's one of the most memorable home runs in baseball history.  If you still don't know what I'm talking about, Google "Carlton Fisk home run" and you can see it on youtube.
  • On April 24, 1986, Roger Clemens struck out a record-high 20 batters.  Now, I don't know if this was before, during, or after the steroids, but striking out 20 batters in a nine-inning game is just insane.  I was a Mets fan back then, so I certainly remember Clemens and the Red Sox of '86!
  • On October 17, 2004, David Ortiz hit a walk-off home run in the 12th inning to help the Red Sox win game 4 of the American League Championship Series against the New York Yankees.  (This was also the same Series where Curt Schilling ended up with the famous "bloody sock," but that happened when they were playing in New York, so that game did not make my Fenway list)
  • On July 13, 1999, Fenway Park played host to the mid-summer classic, the Major League Baseball All-Star Game.  On this night, many of baseball's past greats gathered in the infield to celebrate the game, but the pre-game ceremonies were capped with the appearance of Ted Williams.  This turned out to be one of Williams's last public appearances due to his failing health, and despite having to come out on a cart, it was still a very exciting moment.  I remember getting goose bumps as they showed Williams shaking hands with Derek Jeter and Ichiro Suzuki - and regretting not getting tickets for that game, since I only lived 90 miles from Fenway Park.  Red Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez was the starting pitcher for the American League that evening (and Iván Rodriguez was his starting catcher!), and Pedro ended up striking out the first two batters he faced.  That was a very memorable evening for me, right up there with watching Cal Ripken break Lou Gehrigh's consecutive-game record.
Personally, I have a few good memories of my visits to Fenway Park, back when I lived in Massachusetts.  There was the time when I went with some college friends to see the Red Sox play the Minnesota Twins, and since I was a huge Kirby Puckett fan, I was booed every time I wildly cheered for him (Red Sox fans do not allow you to cheer for any player who is not on their team).  Then there was the time I went with some graduate school friends and my roommate ate her first-ever funner cake.  There was also the time when I took a bunch of kids from the Boys and Girls Club where I used to work; that was fun and we had really good seats.

So as you can see, Fenway Park is full of memories, whether you've been there yourself or are just another baseball fan recalling good times past.  If you're ever in Boston, stop by Yawkey Way and wave to the Green Monster.  Some people may call it a "dump," but I call it a piece of Americana, a baseball shrine, and a place where history was made.

No comments:

Post a Comment