Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Changing my Mind (several times!)

Tomorrow is the last day to cast your vote for the 2011 All-Star Game, so I figured I would take this opportunity to update my ballot and vote again (you can vote up to 25 times per email address at http://www.mlb.com/; last year I voted 75 times!).  Since my first ballot was submitted back in May, I have made some pertinent changes that reflect the overall performance of some players so far this season.  Here is my new and revised ballot:

AMERICAN LEAGUE
1B - Miguel Cabrera (Detroit Tigers) - No change there; he's batting .333 with 15 home runs, so he should get the job over Teixeira.
2B - Robinson Canó (NY Yankees) - No change there either.  He's good (despite being a Yankee); what can I say?
SS - Asdrubal Cabrera (Cleveland Indians) - I voted for him the first time because he had a cool first name and I didn't want to vote for Derek Jeter; this time I voted for him again because he's batting .293 with 13 home runs.  Derek Jeter can't say that, especially since he's sporting a bad hip.
3B - Kevin Youkilis (Red Sox) - This is a change from my previous ballot, where I voted for Maicer Izturis of the Angels.  Izturis is playing OK, but Youkilis is playing better (with his 55 RBIs), plus I felt bad not voting for a Red Sox player.  I'm sure A-Rod will still get to start though; whatever!
Catcher - I initially voted for Russell Martin of the Yankees, but I don't like him anymore.  Therefore, my vote went to Indians' catcher Carlos Santana, only because he has a "Black Magic Woman" who's got him so blind he can't see.  And since I can't see either, he got my sympathy vote!
DH - I'm sorry to say, I knocked Vladimir Guerrero out of my ballot and went with the Tigers' Victor Martinez instead (sorry, O's fans!).  He's batting .335 with 46 RBIs, plus I went to high school with a Victor Martinez (not the same one).
Outfield (choose 3) - Melky Cabrera (Kansas City Royals), Adam Jones (Baltimore Orioles), and Ichiro Suzuki (Seattle Mariners) - These three votes did not change.  Ichiro is awesome, Cabrera is playing well (plus I wanted all 3 "Cabreras" to remain on my ballot), and Adam Jones, well, he's awesome too!

NATIONAL LEAGUE
1B - Joey Votto (Cincinnati Reds)  - This did not change because I didn't want to vote for the injured Pujols or the vegetarian Prince Fielder.  Nothing against vegetarians, but how can a guy who weighs 300 pounds be a vegetarian?  It just seems wrong!
2B - Rickie Weeks (Milwaukee Brewers) - He got my vote again because he is playing some great baseball (though I really wanted to vote for Danny Espinosa of the Nationals, but voting for a rookie is just not right).
SS - Troy Tulowitzki (Rockies) - He knocked Ryan Therriot out of my ballot because of his .272 batting average, 14 home runs and 50 RBIs.  He's no Ozzie Smith yet, but he's fun to watch.
3B - Placido Polanco (Philadelphia Phillies) is again my pick for third base.  Yes, I voted for a Philly; but just one!  And remember what I said last time:  If Polanco does not make the All-Star team, I will NOT be watching the game!
Catcher - Iván Rodriguez (Washington Nationals) - Sorry, I just can't get myself to vote for anyone other than "Pudge."  He is certainly not deserving of the position this year, but my mouse automatically clicks on him every time I try to click on someone else.  I have no idea why that happens!
Outfield - Carlos Beltrán (NY Mets), Matt Holliday and Lance Berkman (St. Louis Cardinals) - Two out of three are the same, with Berkman replacing Justin Upton.  Beltrán is having a great year (he even hit a Grand Slam last night), and Holliday and Upton are just dangerous in any batting lineup.
Now if only we could vote for pitchers... Actually, I'm glad we can't, because then I would be forced to vote for the deserving Roy Halliday, and voting for another Philly would just go against my beliefs.  I just hope the Nationals' Jason Marquis gets chosen, as well as Justin Verlander and Derek Lowe (despite his drinking issues).  In just a few days we'll find out who the starters are - let's see how many of my players get voted in or selected!

No comments:

Post a Comment