Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Is Carlos the New Iván?

If you're a regular reader of this blog (like Tom, Vic, and Harry - yes, these are real people I know!), it's no secret that I have a "thing" for catchers.  I've written tirelessly about how a catcher is the most important player on a baseball team; how I love watching a catcher nabbing someone during a stolen base attempt; and of course there's my unending crush on future Hall-of-Famer Iván "Pudge" Rodriguez.  Now that Iván has retired, I'm still in search of my new crush - the newest hottie who not only looks good in tight baseball pants, but can hit, field, and be philanthropic and socially aware (sorry, Derek; I can't bring myself to like you in that way!).  And no, he doesn't have to be a catcher - but it would be a plus.

Another thing that regular readers of this blog know is that I am an avid Phillies hater.  You can't possibly be a Nationals fan and like the Phillies - it's like being a Red Sox fan and thinking the Yankees are OK or being a Montague and inviting the Capulets over for afternoon tea.  I don't like Charlie Manuel, I REALLY don't like Cole Hamels, and I don't even really care for the green Philly Phanatic mascot.  But one thing I do like is a good baseball player, and the Phillies do have some of those.  Last year I voted for Placido Polanco for the All-Star Game at third base (no Phillies on my ballot this year), Shane Victorino is the best Hawaiian-born baseball player I've ever seen, and Hunter Pence has provided a solid presence in the outfield.  So there - I said nice things about Phillies players.  But don't get used to it!  :-)

There is one Phillies player though who has gotten my attention lately, especially after this week's three-game series between the Phillies and the Nationals.  Phillies' catcher Carlos Ruiz, who went 3 for 4 in Wednesday's game, is a solid all-around good baseball player.  "Chooch," as he's affectionately known to Phillies fans who scream "CHOOOOOCH" when he goes up to bat, was born in Panamá and is supposedly 5'10 and 205 pounds, (I think that was back when he debuted with the Phillies in 2006; I'd say he weighs more like 225).  Ruiz is third in batting in the National League, with a batting average of .357, 7 home runs, 9 doubles (which could have been triples if he didn't run so slow!), 29 RBIs, and an on-base-percentage of .407.  As a catcher, he has caught 13 runners trying to steal so far this season, which is fourth in the National League, and has 27 assists (third in the NL).  One statistic that I found interesting is that Ruiz leads the NL in being hit by a pitch, which has happened 5 times so far this season (perhaps he needs to move away from the plate a little - I don't think they're hitting him on purpose to get to Victorino).

So there you have it - there's a Phillies player out there that I actually like.  I even like the fact that he got mouthy with the home plate umpire the other day (too bad it got him ejected from the game!).  But there's one problem with Carlos Ruiz:  He looks more like a furniture delivery man or a butcher than a baseball player.  Good looks are not his forté.  So while I continue my quest to find a baseball player who is a "complete package," I will keep rooting for Ruiz, Weiters, Flores, Molina (both of them) and Posey.  And maybe, just maybe, a cute catcher will come along next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment