Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Yeay Josh!

One of the things that people sometimes forget when thinking about professional athletes is that they are actual human beings.  They have tremendous talent, but also have feelings, have families, and make mistakes just like you and me.  So when you hear of a professional athlete besting the odds and doing something great after facing adversity, you tend to be glad for that person.  This is how I feel today - happy for Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton.  In yesterday's game hosted by the Orioles, Josh became only the 16th player in history to hit 4 home runs in one game (I remember watching the Braves' Bob Horner do the same thing when I was a little girl in the 80s, which is when my interest in baseball started).  Not only did Hamilton hit four home runs, but each one was a two-run homer and then he hit a double as well in the Rangers' 10-3 victory (and Orioles fans, the standing ovation you gave Hamilton despite your team losing at home was classy!).  Hamilton now has the American League single-game record for total bases with 18 and had a total of 8 RBIs.

After battling alcohol and drug addiction in the early 2000s and despite a couple of slip-ups in 2009 and February of this year, the 4-time All-Star and 2010 American League MVP is having a stellar year.  The Texas Rangers, under the ownership of Nolan Ryan and the management of Ron Washington (himself a recovered addict) have the best record in baseball.  I'm rooting for the Rangers in the AL Central and hope that Josh Hamilton continues to have an excellent year.  I know I'll be voting for Hamilton in my All-Star ballot!

No comments:

Post a Comment