Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Don Takes Over for Joe

The Los Angeles Dodgers have had many managers in their long history - most notably Casey Stengel, Leo Durocher, and of course, Tommy Lasorda, who managed the Dodgers for 20 years.  Their manager from last year, Joe Torre, joined the team in 2008 after having won about 58 World Series championships as manager of the Yankees.  I've always liked Joe despite his big nose, and I even read his autobiography, which bled blue pinstripes but was an interesting read.  Well Joe has taken a job as Vice President of Baseball Operations-Something-or-Other and now works directly with Commissioner Bud Selig.  So who better to take over for this former Yankee great than another former Yankee great?  The Dodgers' new skipper is Don Mattingly, who has some coaching experience but has never managed in the Majors before.  I haven't liked the Dodgers since Kirk Gibson hit that fist-pumping home run in 1988 to take the New York Mets out of the playoffs, but I've always liked Mattingly, so I hope he has a decent first season as manager this year (just "decent," not "great!").

Speaking of Dodgers, did you know that Sandy Koufax is still alive?  I had no idea, until I saw him on a PBS special last night about Jewish baseball players.  He's alive and looking great!  I mean, if Willie Mays and Bob Feller are still alive, there's no reason why Koufax wouldn't be; I just always thought he was dead for some reason!  Sorry about that, Sandy!

Regarding Spring Training, I'm glad that Chris Carpenter will be the starting pitcher for the Cardinals in their game against the Tigers this afternoon.  I have followed Carpenter's career since he started with Toronto back in 1997, and he always seemed like a nice, easy-going kind of guy (as most people from New Hampshire are).  Chris was sidelined for a little while with a hamstring injury, but the team trainer says that he's ready to go without any restrictions.  Yeay Chris! 

And yay to the nice weather in Maryland - we're expecting temperatures in the 70s by Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment