Total Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2011

There's no Tie-ing in Baseball!

If today's Spring Training box scores are any indication of the kind of baseball season that will soon be upon us, then hold on to your ball caps, because it's going to be a slug-fest!  Of the games played so far today (there are still a couple to be played tonight), six of them had double-digit scores.  The Nationals beat the Astros 14-9 (it's worth noting that first-round draft pick Bryce Harper had 2 doubles - sorry I wasn't too nice to you in one of my posts last week!); the Cardinals beat the Twins 10-4; the Cubs beat the Angels 14-13 (yeay Cubs!); the Brewers beat the Reds 15-2; one of the White Sox's split squad teams beat the Diamondbacks 12-1; and get this:  The White Sox's other split squad team tied the Cleveland Indians 16-16.  What's up with that?  After nine innings they just figured they'd played enough and left it at a tie?  I kow this just happened, so I don't know the whole story, but ties in baseball are just not right.  If I was the manager of one of those two teams and my guys scored 16 points, I would want that game to keep going to see if we could score more points!  What the heck?  There's got to be more to this story; let's see what the news sources say tonight and tomorrow.

An interesting note from the White Sox is that they have an infielder named Austin Yount who is NOT the son of Robin Yount.  Is Yount a common last name?  I'd never heard it until I heard of Robin.  They also have a third-baseman whose last name is Vizquel - I wonder if he's related to Venezuelan Omar Vizquel, who played for years with the Indians.  Wait a minute!  It's the same guy!  He's 43 and still playing, hoping to get close to 3000 hits by the end of the season.

So Lee and Lincecum and Sabathia beware:  The hitters are getting hot, and you know the only thing that can stop good hitting is even better pitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment