Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

あなたは、日本のことを考え (Thinking of you, Japan!)

Baseball is the most popular team sport played in Japan.  According to Wikipedia (I know, they're not the world's most reliable source, but I'll use them because they showed up first on Google Search), a total of 43 Japanese-born baseball players have played in at least one Major League Baseball game through the end of the 2010 season.  One of the first was pitcher Hideo Nomo, and of course there's the Mariners' Ichiro Suzuki who joined the Majors in 2001, and Hideki Matsui of the A's, who's been playing in the Majors since 2003.  (Part of me finds it hard to believe that Ichiro has been playing for 10 years already, and part of me thinks he's been with the Mariners for EVER!).  Anyway, the Japanese fans are very proud of their baseball, and my prayers go out to everyone who endured the terrible earthquake and tsunami of last week and to those who lost loved ones.

On a lighter note...the highest-scoring game from yesterday's Spring Training action was a 12-8 victory for the Brewers over the Giants.  Brandon Boggs went 2 for 5, and no, he's not related to Wade Boggs.  Also noteworthy is the fact that Phillies closer Brad Lidge has not been pitching because he has tendinitis on his right biceps tendon (which is probably why his velocity has been down this year).  Oh, I am so sad (NOT!)!  A season without Brad Lidge would not be such a bad thing (I know that's mean, but if you read yesterday's post you will understand why I feel the way I do about the Phillies!).  But a sore biceps tendon is not season-ending; he should be able to pitch pretty soon with a little bit of rehab and lots of Advil.  Oh joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment