Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 31, 2011

PLAY BALL! (Finally!)

Opening Day!  Finally!  I feel like I've been waiting for this day since last October!  Only 6 games were on tap for today, (and actually the sixth game just started), but I have watched more baseball today than I have in a long, long time.  The first 2 games were at 1:05, so I tried watching them both simultaneously.  While the Nationals hosted the Braves on one channel, ESPN was showing the Tigers visiting the Yankees.  I must admit that the Yankees/Tigers game was more exciting, even though the Yankees won.  (Boo!).  In that game, Derek Jeter didn't get any hits, but he did walk and scored on Mark Teixeira's 3-run homer in the third inning.  I was bummed that my buddy Justin Verlander had a rough outing, but it was nice to see him striking out Robinson Canó.  The Yankees won that one 6-3.  Boo again!

In the Nationals/Braves game, Liván Hernandez pitched a heck of a game, except for one pitch to Jason Heyward in the second inning, which he hit for a home run.  Chipper Jones proved that his knee is fine by hustling for a nice double to start the game, and I had to laugh at Dan Uggla (who I'm used to seeing as a Marlin) when he struck out on a 62-mile-an-hour curveball.  Heck, I think I can throw faster than that!  But poor Liván got no offensive help, so the Nationals were shut out 2-0.  At least it wasn't as bad as last year's opener, when they lost to the Phillies 11-1.  In defense of the Nationals, home plate umpire Tim Welke is getting too old to be back there, because he made a couple of pretty bad calls in the Braves' favor.  Hopefully the Nats can win the next 2 games and win this series against what looks to be a very good Braves team, even without Bobby Cox.

Another game I watched was the one between the Cardinals and Padres.  That game went into extra innings, with the Padres winning it 5-3.  In my opinion, if a game goes into extra innings, it should end in "sudden death," as soon as either team scores a point.  Why do they need to finish the inning once a team has scored?  That's silly!  Also silly was the fact that Albert Pujols grounded into three double-plays.  I bet this was the worst game of his life.  Still, I don't feel bad for Albert.

In the game between the Reds and Brewers, there were a total of 6 home runs, with each team hitting three.  One of them was hit by last year's National League MVP, Joey Votto.  Every time I say his name, I have to say "How you doin'?"  I don't know why; I guess it's because it's such an Italian-sounding name.  Just like when I order a Georgia Peach-flavored Italian Ice at the local Rita's I have to say it with a Southern accent ("Jawja paych").  The Reds won that one, by the way, 7-6.

A game I did not get to watch because it was not televised here was the one between the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (the stupidest name I've ever heard - pick a city, will ya?) and the Kansas City Royals (who have not had a good team since 1922).  Torii Hunter (yes, mother, it is spelled with two "i"s) went 2 for 5, and even though he's normally a center fielder, he played at  right field today.  I remember when he started out with the Twins, taking over for Kirby Puckett after Puckett had to retire early due to eyesight problems resulting from Glaucoma.

The last game today, which is still going on, is between the Giants and Dodgers.  Tim Lincecum is pitching for the Giants, with last year's National League Rookie of the Year, Buster Posey, as his battery mate.  Let's see how Don Mattingly does in his managerial debut with the Dodgers.

So that is a wrap-up of the first day of the 2011 baseball season.  The Red Sox, Phillies, and Orioles are among the teams that will be starting their seasons tomorrow.  Let's hope for another day of exciting baseball, and may this season be full of good pitching, even better hitting, and continued excitement.

***Update:  (it is now Friday morning)  Just wanted to let you all know that the Giants lost to the Dodgers 2-1 last night (it was 1-0 LA when I went to bed).  It is also worth noting that Puerto Rican Wil Nieves (who just went to the Brewers after spending a few years with the Nationals) went 2 for 4 last night, and New York-born Puerto Rican (we call them Niuyorricans) Mike Avilés went 1 for 5 for the Royals, with that one hit being a home run.

More baseball today!  Yippee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment