Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Don't You Know Who I AM?"

My cousin José took his family to see the Braves play the Cardinals at a Spring Training game yesterday (no, not all Puerto Ricans have a cousin named José; I just happen to have two of them).  Anyway, José put on his Facebook status that he was sitting near Dale Murphy, Tom Glavine, and Bobby Cox.  I got all excited and told him to show Mr. Cox my blog, especially the post in which I mentioned him.  I don't know if José did or not (he was always the daring one in the family, but now he's in law enforcement so he probably tried to keep a low profile), but it got me thinking:  Would I be able to recognize a current or former baseball player who was just sitting there in street clothes?  Being visually impaired, I'm thinking not.  I mean, there are obvious ones out there I would recognize (like Jeter, "Pudge", McGuire, Clemens, and Bonds); but if Cliff Lee or John Smoltz were in front of me in line at the bank, I don't know that I would be able to recognize them.  I have had several brushes with fame in my lifetime - I was acquainted with Ricky Martin, shared an elevator with Larry Bird, and even had an "incident" with Senator John Kerry when I lived in Massachusetts.  But I think if Joey Votto or Hanley Ramirez were sitting across from me on the Metro, I would have no clue that it was them.

Regarding that Braves/Cardinals game, the Cardinals won 6-1 and Braves' minor league manager Luis Salazar had to be hospitalized after catching a foul ball in the Braves' dugout with his face.  Reports say he's doing fine; thank goodness.

In other Spring Training action, high-scoring games included the Brewers beating the Diamondbacks 11-8; The Royals beating the Cubs 13-4; the Reds beating the Padres 15-5; and the Orioles, who are having a decent Spring, beating the twins 11-2.  Poor Brian Roberts is injured AGAIN, so he won't be playing for a little while.  In Nationals news, they won 8-4 with Jason Marquis pitching 4 good innings.

Finally, I want to take this opportunity to thank my followers and all of you who have been reading my blog since I started it last week.  I appreciate the support, and hope that some of you non-baseball lovers who are reading this just to be nice, can learn a little about the sport and can appreciate my love for the game.  Please feel free to comment - the only one who has done it so far has been my husband - and let me know what you like, don't like, or would like to see.  Have a good day, my friends, and if you live in the Frederick area, stay dry, stay inside tomorrow, and watch some baseball on TV.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. "incident" with Senator John Kerry? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a LONG time ago when I was the Fitness Director at a YMCA. Nothing scandalous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Escribes como hablas. Así que lo leo rápido y parece que te estoy oyendo. Sigue así que vas bien.

    ReplyDelete