Total Pageviews

Monday, March 28, 2011

"Whenever you want me, I'll be there!"

I've already discussed in previous posts how the catcher is the most important position player on a baseball team.  I've also mentioned the importance of hitting the cutoff man when catching a ball in the outfield to get someone out, and the importance of the well-executed double play.  Well, another player with an important role in any successful baseball team is the Utility Player.  A "utility" player is someone who can play many positions and can do so very well.  He doesn't play every day, but when needed, he is there to provide consistent offense, and can defensively play wherever they put him.  He is dependable, consistent, and is happy to contribute whenever and wherever.  Many players have lengthened their professional careers by learning to field in new positions, and usually they do so very well.  Two former players who come to mind are Tony Phillips, who played just about every position with the Tigers, and fellow Puerto Rican José Oquendo, who played EVERY position during his professional career - even pitcher.  Because of his success as a utility player, Oquendo is now a well-respected coach for the Cardinals.  Currently, notable utility players include Ryan Theriot of the Dodgers, Mark DeRosa of the Giants, and Brandon Inge of the Tigers.  Not a lot of utility players make it into the Hall of Fame, though some would say that Tony Gwynn could have been considered one since he played in different parts of the outfield.  Alberto Gonzalez of the Nationals has been their best utility player for the past few years, and trade talks involving him make me a little sad, because he's been so consistent both with the bat and on the field (plus I got to meet him last year and even got my picture taken with him).  The A's, Astros and Braves have all shown interest in Gonzalez, and if he does go to one of these teams, he will be greatly missed.  I guess the Nationals figure that now that they have geriatric Matt Stairs, they don't need another utility guy (especially a young one!).  Maybe the trade will fall through...we'll have to wait and see!  One trade that did happen yesterday was when the Nationals sent Nyjer Morgan to the Brewers for some cash and a minor-league prospect.  I KNEW Nyjer would lose his job with the Nats; he had a lousy year last year and an even lousier spring.  That will put Ankiel at center field, which is fine with me.

It is interesting to note that the minor-league prospect that the Nationals obtained for Morgan is Cutter Dykstra, son of former Met and Philly outfielder Lenny Dykstra.  I hope Cutter is not an idiot like his father (not only is he an idiot for naming his son Cutter, but he's done steroids, sexually abused a housekeeper, committed credit card fraud, among other things), and I wish him well with the Nationals.

Speaking of idiots, you know who looks like a total fool?  The Giants' Brian Wilson.  I know he's injured and I know he had like 98 saves last year, but dude, trim that beard!  The ZZ Top look does not look good on a pitcher's mound!  I'm glad to see that he's feeling better and doing some light tossing though; I don't wish injury on anyone.  (Oh, and one more tidbit of useless information:  Iván Rodriguez got married last week, and it wasn't to me!).

So, Spring Training is almost over - some teams like the Giants and A's have already packed up and are preparing for Opening Day, which is only 3 or 4 days away (depending on the team).  Other teams still have one or two games left, and will be rushing to get things ready.  I'll be back on Thursday evening, to give you my perspective on the first day of the 2011 baseball season.  Until then, feel free to check out what's going on in basketball and hockey (go Caps!), and make some paper crafts or air planes with your sure-to-be-inaccurate NCAA brackets (I know mine went out the window after round one!).

No comments:

Post a Comment