Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How 'bout them Birds?

Let me start off by calming your anxiety and letting you know that I won't be blogging every single day (phew - you thought you'd have a hard time keeping up!).  I only plan on updating my blog a few times a week, but since I'm just starting out, I am eager to get going and have a lot to say.  But knowing how busy I'll be at my "real" job for the next couple of days, I anticipate a short hiatus unless something earth-shattering happens during Spring Training.

So a lot of people ask me, since I live equidistant from Nationals Park and Oriole Park, why don't I root for the Orioles?  Well I have  nothing against the lowly birds, even though they haven't seen much excitement since Cal Ripken broke Lou Gherig's consecutive-game record.  I've just always preferred following National League teams over American League ones.  People say the AL has better hitting, but I like when the pitcher tries to get a hit, when a manager uses the double-switch, and when a lineup is easy to predict.  So no, I have nothing against the Orioles, other than the fact that they're an AL team.  I was happy to see that Brian Roberts went 2 for 3 in the Orioles' 12-6 win over the Tampa Bay Rays yesterday.  He was plagued by injuries last season and even had some neck stiffness last week that forced him to sit out of a few practices.  Let's hope Roberts can stay healthy; he's such a dedicated player and the fans in Baltimore just love him.  Oh, and Markakis went 3 for 3!  How about that?

In other Spring Training results from yesterday, it's noteworthy that the Philadelphia Phillies lost to the Detroit Tigers 6 to 2.  Starter Cliff Lee pitched 2 innings and allowed 2 Earned Runs, and "underrated player from last year," third baseman Placido Polanco went 0 for 2.  Lee just got a hefty contract with the Phillies, which is the main reason why Jayson Werth went to the Nationals.  He knew he wouldn't get the money he thought he deserved, so he preferred to go to a losing team that would pay him a lot rather than making "less" money on a winning team.  Sorry Jayson, I have no pity for you; you're still filthy rich!

So how did the Nationals do yesterday?  Glad you asked!  They beat the Mets again, this time 5-3.  The Mets have a poor guy whose last name is Duda - he went 2 for 4.  How can you not think of "Camptown Races" when you see his name?  The Nationals had another good day from Michael Morse, who went 2 for 2, but their center fielder, Nyjer Morgan, has gone 0 for 6 so far this Spring.  I am so tired of him doing everything half-assed!  That job at center field needs to go to someone else.  Oh, and of course I have to mention that Iván Rodriguez walked in his first at-bat, but then went 2 for 2 including a double.  That old man can still run!

OK, off to do what they pay me to do here at school.  Thanks for reading, and enjoy the nice weather!

1 comment:

  1. Don't hate the Nyjer, he's trying. After all the Nats wouldn't have stolen him from Pittsburgh if he didn't have some redeeming quality. He runs fast. Not so fast as to steal better than 50% of the time, but he tries. If he can ever learn to bunt he'll be worth his weight in, um... aluminum.

    ReplyDelete